It’s Nutrition week and the theme of this year is Eat Right Bite by Bite.
Bite by bite emphaises on small changes that one can make to get adequate Nutrition.
India is Grappling Malnutrition like never before, we are seeing a spectrum that ranges from undernourished children to obese kids and not to forget the vitamin and mineral deficiency.
Most parents coming to my clinic complaint ‘Doc my child is a Fussy Eater, what do I do?Help me with this please,I am tired of the everyday scene on the dining table ‘
Here are 7 tips that will help you Help your child eat Healthy.
- Feed your child the same food cooked for the family, share meal timings with him/her.
Children learn from observation and not from ostentation, set a good example for them to follow.
- Encourage Healthy snacking. Stock up on fruits, homemade crackers,yogurt or dahi Discourage snacking on junk and fatty foods.
- Children understand when they are full. Respect that and let them decide how much they want to eat. Force feeding has a negative impact on their relationship with food.
- Help your children eat a Rainbow. Children love colours,use it to your advantage to feed them. Green palak rotis, Orange carrot idlis, Pink beetroot parantha,and see them gobble it all up. Put on your creative hats and innovative a little with regular recipes to make food interesting.
- Involve your children in grocery shopping and preparing food. They are more likely to eat foods that they have shopped or helped you prepare.
It also establishes a positive attitude towards food. Also take them to the farms if possible and help them understand how food grows, or help them tend your balcony garden.
- We all tend to eat comfort foods, this is because it releases oxytocin and elevates our mood, your kid may also resort to it. Don’t make them feel guilty about eating any type of food. Sit down and talk to them and explain that sugary foods or fatty foods don’t really nourish their body. It’s ok to eat it sometimes but not frequently. Set a day when they can have those foods.
My twin girls had Saturday as their chocolate day. Do keep up to it on that day so the child doesn’t feel deprived.
- Using Food as a Bribe is a big No. Food should be respected and revered. We consider Ann(Food) as Devta (God). Teach kids to use their 5 senses to eat, it nourishes the mind-body and soul.
These 7 steps will help you Inculcate Healthy Eating Habits in Kids.
It’s important to catch them young and help them Eat Right to Stay Fit.