Corona virus is spreading like Wild Fire and we are all taking all precautions to #stopthespread.
Our Government has taken adequate measures to educate and protect all of us.
In this scenario when we are having so much information on the subject very little information is available on how to sanitize Foods.
I have received many queries regarding the same from my patients,friends and acquaintances.
This blog is my effort to help you sanitize your food and grocery during this Covid19 time.
Got your Grocery and food,Here is what you can do.
- Milk bag and Milk cartons: Wash it with soap and water.
- Goceries: Once you get the grocery home, empty the bag and immediately wash the bag. The grocery packed in plastic can be wiped with a disinfectant solution. You can also wipe it with disinfectant wipes. We are unsure as to how many days the virus lives on different surfaces,so best to disinfect it.If the groceries have come in paper bags, Take a plate or a wide mouth container,empty the packet into it taking care the bag doesn’t touch the vessel, discard the bag, wash your hands with soap and water and then fill it in the container you want to store it.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables: The bag needs to be washed. Dispose the plastic bag or paper bag that may have been used. The recommendation for washing fruits and vegetables is the same and has not changed for Covid19. You may use one part of Vinegar to 3 parts of water to wash the produce. Dipping in salt water may be considered though the efficacy is unknown. One may also use baking soda in water. We strongly recommend not to consume any raw food in the current situation. Cooked food is a better option. Wash your hands before handling or eating food with soap and water.
- Plastic bottles,glass containers, Tins etc: to be washed with soap and water.
- Sanitize all the surfaces that you used. Don’t forget to sanitize the vessels and sink.
What to use to Sanitize is the question posed by Many
You don’t really need anything more than soap and water.
To sanitize surfaces you may use bleach or other agents like dettol, lizol etc.
To sanitize your hands best is soap and water. A sanitizer having isopropyl alcohol with a gel base is good enough.
For fruits and vegetables do not use soap, it seeps into the skin.
Use vinegar or baking soda or lime
Please Note: It’s important that you don’t touch your eyes,nose or mouth before you wash your hands.
While we all need food for Survival,we may not need elaborate meals. Try and utilise what’s available at home. Go out shopping only when absolutely essential.
Use pulses instead of vegetables. Do with dried fruits available at home instead of fruits. Move out only when there is no option.
Make a list of essentials and buy everything at one go so you don’t need to move out frequently.
The more you are at home more safe you are.
Maintain Social distancing when shopping.
Stay Healthy Stay Safe Stay Happy.